Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Buraka's

Just last week I tried out Buraka's on State Street with a friend, and was pleasantly surprised from this restaurant that I had probably walked by a hundred times without ever noticing it in the past four years.  Buraka's brings Ethiopian cuisine to Madison as you walk downstairs to its location beneath State Street.  It's a rather small venue, but with a nice bar and plenty of seating.  I had the vegetarian dish which was reallyyy good.  It is presented as cooked vegetables in a curry sauce in the center of an Ethiopian bread (that looks like a spongy circle of flatbread).  Then you are supposed to tear off the bread and use it to grab the food with your fingers.  

To accompany this yummy meal, I tried the fresh mango juice while my friend ordered the freshly pressed coffee.  Even though I don't usually like coffee, I actually enjoyed the coffee, but when I go back to Buraka's I'll have to order the mango juice again, because if you close your eyes you really do feel like you're in a tropical setting drinking from a real mango.  

The service was spot on with our friendly bartender and the food was good.  It's a new place I'd highly recommend, especially because the prices are not relatively inexpensive :)

No comments:

Post a Comment